I recently had a chat with a young lady from Ontario, Canada (my mother's homeland) about soup. As the cold weather season was approaching, a mutual friend's significant other was feeling under the weather and wanted to know about comfort food for him. It was unanimous that soup was the answer.
Veganela's Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup with Chickpeas
• 1 medium red onion
• 2 toes garlic
• 3 large carrots
• 1 medium sweet potato
• 2 ½ cups veggie stock
• 1 cup plain soy milk (or preferred non-dairy milk)
• 1 tsp seasoned salt
• ½ tsp roasted garlic and peppers (spice mix)
• 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Peel carrots and cut into short sticks.
2. Peel sweet potato and cut into small chunks.
3. Place carrots and sweet potato in a microwave safe bowl and add a small amount of water.
4. Peel and mince onion.
5. Peel and mince garlic.
Soup Cooking Instructions:
1. Cover bowl containing the carrots and sweet potato with cling wrap and microwave on high for approximately 8 minutes.
If you would prefer to boil instead of steam: Cut them the same way, place them in a medium sized pot, cover with water, cook until tender.
3. Mash or blend until smooth.
4. In a medium sauce pan combine the onion, garlic, and oil.
5. Cook on medium-high heat until onions are translucent.
6. Remove from heat.
7. Add carrot and sweet potato mash, soy milk, and veggie stock to the sauce pan with onion and garlic.
8. Whisk together and return to medium heat.
9. Whisk/stir frequently to prevent sticking.
10. Add spices.
11. When evenly heated remove from stove.
12. Blend if preferred. (Optional)
• 1 19oz can of Chickpeas (drained)
• 1 tsp minced garlic (from jar)
• 1 tsp roasted garlic and peppers (spice mix)
• ½ tsp seasoned salt
• ½ tsp Frank’s Original Red Hot Sauce
• 1 tbsp cooking oil
1. Add garlic, frank’s, spices, and oil to a large skillet at medium-high heat.
2. Add chickpeas.
3. Cook on medium-high until the outside of chickpeas are crispy.
1. Combine chickpeas and soup.
2. Mix well.
3. Serve hot.
Who Is Anastasia?
- New Castle, Indiana Zone 5, United States
- When I was 55, I decided to embrace the things I love and hold precious and dear, regardless of anyone else's thoughts and opinion. I am a visual folk artist who loves flowers - my own flowers, grown and/or painted by me. I love good, hearty, exotic foods, and I love to prepare them myself. I love the secret garden situated in my backyard, regardless of how overgrown and wild it gets. No longer able to afford a vacation, this will have to be it for the time being. In the winter months, I still enjoy it. Anyway, here I am sharing my art, favorite recipes, cocktails, gardening tips, and just my usual vents and bantering. After all, I'm old enough to say whatever the heck I want to now ...