Who Is Anastasia?

My photo
New Castle, Indiana Zone 5, United States
When I was 55, I decided to embrace the things I love and hold precious and dear, regardless of anyone else's thoughts and opinion. I am a visual folk artist who loves flowers - my own flowers, grown and/or painted by me. I love good, hearty, exotic foods, and I love to prepare them myself. I love the secret garden situated in my backyard, regardless of how overgrown and wild it gets. No longer able to afford a vacation, this will have to be it for the time being. In the winter months, I still enjoy it. Anyway, here I am sharing my art, favorite recipes, cocktails, gardening tips, and just my usual vents and bantering. After all, I'm old enough to say whatever the heck I want to now ...

JEWELS OF MY SOUL

JEWELS OF MY SOUL
My Book Available on AMAZON

July 7, 2013

Easy Seafood Supper

The other evening, I had seafood on my mind, but I wanted something more than a frozen cod "tail" sandwich or a flimsy piece of tilapia ... I wanted something wonderful, and decadent and tasty as all get out.

Since I am now focused on budget friendly, healthier alternatives, I came up with a marvelous meal that you can literally throw together in a few minutes. This dish makes a fabulous presentation and tastes as if you have your own private chef on hand.

It's so easy, it's like a SEAFOOD DUMP CAKE! ... Well, kind of ...


Start with a 9x13" baking dish. I prefer to line mine with foil for easy cleanup. Cut a piece of foil a little more than double the width of the dish (so you will only need one piece - use 1/2 to line the pan, and let the rest over hang ...)

I used an inexpensive (99 cents) box of red beans and rice -- Dump the contents into the bottom of the baking dish (dry), making sure all of the seasonings, rice, beans, etc. are evenly distributed.

Lay 3 (or however many you like) swordfish fillets on top of the rice mixture. I used 3 because that's what was in the package - on sale - Any firm, mild fish will do; that's up to your taste and budget.

Lightly season the fish with Old Bay® Seasoning - not too heavy; remember, the boxed rice is already seasoned.

Slice a small onion and place on top of the fish.

Take a package (less than $3.00 in most stores) of frozen Mussels in the sauce of your choice that has been thawed. Dump the Mussels, sauce and all, on top of the fish. Spread it out nicely. I used a blend from Aldi's that was garlic and tomato.

Add one can of diced tomatoes, plus 1/4 can water. I used one that had garlic, onion and pepper added.

Drizzle with some olive oil.

Don't mix or blend, stir or toss anything - just let everything trickle down on it's own. Cover everything with the foil that was left hanging out. You're going to bake this in a 350F oven for about 40 minutes - Everything will steam together, and it will be fabulous!

4 comments:

  1. NICE looking summer fare! Glad you're back writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if I was a seafood person, I'd be all over this...but since I'm not, I think I might do a rendition using smoked or andoui sausage & add a little ham broth to make up for the sauce from the mussels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what you were born to do....

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you regarding this post. Please feel free to leave your comments. All the best, Anastasia a/k/a Stacey

The Backyard --Today's Vacation Spot

The Backyard --Today's Vacation Spot
A simple garden meal in the shade. No, it's not my backyard, but it looks identical to the one I grew up with at our home in Queens. Looking for an original pic of it to post soon!

Old Fashioned Tips